Friday, September 6, 2013

The Journey to Being Self-Aware

How long does it take to know yourself?

     First off, I would like to apologize for taking so long to post! It has been nearly a year since my last post and I have no excuses - but here is to new found inspiration!

     I heard someone say that one does not truly know oneself until they are around thirty. This really got me thinking. Does it really take thirty years for a person to discover all of the facets and idiosyncrasies in their personality? Does it take thirty years for someone to accept their short-comings and insecurities? While I do agree that it takes time for a person to realize certain realities about themselves, I hope it doesn't take thirty years for them all to come to light.
     I think that each person is different in this case. Some people are naturally more self-aware than others. In fact I would say some people could live their whole lives and not become fully self-aware or self-understanding.
     But is it not important to strive for more? Yes. Becoming self-aware is how we avoid so many bad mistakes and decisions in the future.
     When I was leaving High School I made a decision. I decided not to go to a University but to instead go the Community College route. While I have since questioned that decision several times, I can credit myself for knowing what I was doing. While the University experience would have been very memorable and I sometimes regret not being able to live it, I knew myself well enough to know that it was not what I needed at the time. Community College has provided me with a bridge from High School to a possible University life that is invaluable. To this day I think I would not have been able to keep up with the school work at the University level being fresh out of High School.
     And despite the fact that I have tons to learn about myself still, I am very proud that I was able to make that decision correctly. All because I strove to be self-aware. I still strive for this, and I know I still have a ways to go.

So strive too! Everyone should know themselves as well, if not better than the people and loved ones around them. Because we should love ourselves that much as well.

With much love and regards,

S.J.Hernandez

P.S. Let me know when you think people become self-aware in the comments! Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. You're back! Yeah, it's me ... old faithful. lol I agree with much of what you said, but there is no magical number. Although there are many factors, one stands out for me.I think the more you experience the more you learn about yourself. I think perhaps that's why 30 was the number given. At age 30, most people will have experienced significant life events such as marriage, raising a child, the passing of a close family member,divorce or break-up with a significant other, etc. There is a deeper understanding of oneself once you actually experience such meaningful events ... any event for that matter.That's why I say ... take some risks and go LIVE.It is when we step out of our comfort zone that we grow. Write on Steven!

    ReplyDelete